Will I be able to live on Social Security income alone when I retire?

There are three legs on the retirement stool: Social Security, pensions and personal savings. According to an Employee Benefit Research Institute (EBRI) study, one of those legs, Social Security, is a bit wobbly, providing on average only 40 percent of the income needs of persons 65 and older.
For preretirees, this is a wake-up call. Since Social Security doesn't supply enough income for people to get by financially for even two weeks of each month, how do you make up the difference? According to the EBRI study, pensions and annuities account for about 20 percent of income for the 65 and older population, though this percentage may decline as companies terminate pension plans and taxpayers object to generous benefits for public sector employees.
The upshot is that people 65 and older will need to rely on earnings and personal savings to meet nearly half of their retirement income needs. It's a scary thought, but one that needs to be confronted.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

The Rise of STDs in Seniors
The Rise of STDs in Seniors
In 1970, when Stephen Stills recorded “Love the One You’re With,” it became a rallying cry for the hippy “free love” movement (more myth than fact, bu...
How can I keep a senior citizen safe during the summer?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
Hot summer weather can be a challenge for all of us. While taking care of an elder in the summer, ma...
Who can provide geriatric care?
Mercy HealthMercy Health
Most internists and family doctors provide geriatric care because they take care of the majority of ...
What Do You Think Is the Biggest Healthcare Challenge?