Why is it important to make homes fall-proof for elderly people?

It is important to make homes fall proof for elderly people because falls are one of the top causes for accidents in this age group. Poor eyesight, poor hearing, illnesses, medications and a decreased reaction time may all be causes of falling. Helping make homes fall proof can decrease this risk. 
Falls are common among elderly people, and broken hips from falls are a leading cause of death or significant functional decline in adults over age 65. As we age, health problems and the accompanying medications used to treat them tend to increase our fall risk. Making homes fall-proof is critical to enabling older adults to continue living safely in their homes for as long as possible.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

The Rise of STDs in Seniors
The Rise of STDs in Seniors
In 1970, when Stephen Stills recorded “Love the One You’re With,” it became a rallying cry for the hippy “free love” movement (more myth than fact, bu...
When may a geriatric palliative medicine consultation be helpful?
Palliative and Therapeutic Harmonization Consortium for frail elderly - PATHPalliative and Therapeutic Harmonization Consortium for frail elderly - PATH
Many health professionals do not receive training to recognize the significance of frailty. Frailty ...
Where can I find information on caring for the elderly?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Here is a website that has a lot of very good information: http://www.aging-parents-and-elder-care.c...
How Can I Protect My Lungs as I Get Older?