Why do elderly people go into nursing homes?

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

Surprisingly, residents tend to be admitted more for the chronic diseases—like heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), diabetes—than for slips and falls and hip problems. There are an increasing number of patients being admitted more for depression than dementia. Some of these diagnoses are preventable if we start taking better care of ourselves.

Who Moved My Dentures? 13 False (Teeth) Truths About Long-Term Care and Aging in America

Who Moved My Dentures dispels 13 different myths about long-term care and aging in America as told through human interest stories of people the author has met through his work as a healthcare...
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

Elderly people often go into nursing homes because of the accumulation of multiple medical problems over time, resulting in frailty and dysfunctions in the ability to take care of themselves. Families worry about older adults with cognitive problems, memory problems and dementia, making it difficult for them to manage at home. These have impacts on day-to-day function, such as eating, bathing, dressing, managing medications and finances, and safety. Frequent falls are one of the top causes for people going into a nursing home because it's just felt to be unsafe. There might be trouble walking, and changes in strength or musculoskeletal changes that result in frequent falls. Incontinence has a significant impact in older adults, and that's something that also can stress families in terms of taking care of people. It's an issue that most people don't like to talk about. It has a lot of social stigma around it.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Move It or Gain It
Seniors, Move It or Gain It
Don Pellman, age 99, did the high jump in college, but gave it up for the next 58 years. Then after reti...
What are the major risk factors for falls among older adults?
Dr. Goldina EroweleDr. Goldina Erowele
These risk factors include: Biological risk factors - Mobility problems due to muscle weakness or...
Should I be planning financially for retirement?
Steven V. Gurland, MDSteven V. Gurland, MD
It is never to early to consider planning for your financial security during your retirement. It is ...
What Is a Safety Check Done by Meals on Wheels?