Why is it difficult for older adults to give up driving?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

It is difficult for older adults to give up driving because an inability to drive can lead to social isolation, increased depression and a loss of independence that can be devastating. In our society, older adults lead very active lives beyond retirement, and driving is the primary means of transportation for them to engage in those activities. Driving is the way many older adults access health care, engage in social interactions and ensure adequate nutrition (via grocery shopping or dining in restaurants).

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Senior ERs Are Saving Lives and Changing Healthcare
Modern emergency rooms (ERs) are often models of speed and efficiency. When your life or limb is on the line, you want a team of healthcare providers ...
How do LIFE programs address the issue of elderly people falling?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) programs address the issue of elderly people falling by being...
How do LIFE programs help people with dementia as well as their caregivers?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) programs help people with dementia as well as their caregiver...
How Can I Sleep Better If I'm over 65?
How Can I Sleep Better If I'm over 65?