Why is the care of the aging LGBT population an issue?

Attention to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) aging issues has increased markedly in recent years. To a certain degree, the growing interest in the LGBT aging experience reflects its particularities, which in turn are shaped by the lifetimes of marginalization and discrimination that have been the shared experience of so many LGBT elders. But the dynamism of the LGBT aging field owes at least as much to the universality of many of its themes, which have fueled new kinds of collaborations that effectively address the needs of LGBT elders within the larger context of a graying and diversifying nation.

While LGBT older people historically have been disregarded even by the LGBT community itself, the changing demographics of the country make an increased emphasis on LGBT aging nearly inevitable. 

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Eat Your Vitamins…and Don’t Forget Your Protein, Too!
Q: My ankle has been chronically sore, so I had it x-rayed. It showed a bone spur. My doctor wants me to do physical therapy before deciding on surger...
How important is good communication between doctors and my elderly parent?
Palliative and Therapeutic Harmonization Consortium for frail elderly - PATHPalliative and Therapeutic Harmonization Consortium for frail elderly - PATH
Honest and sensitive communication between doctors, patients and families is the key to better healt...
How does age affect my risk of cancer?
Daniel R. Spogen, MDDaniel R. Spogen, MD
The risk of cancer increases with age. Abnormal cells are created in the body, but the immune system...
Why Does Meals on Wheels Specifically Provide Services to Seniors?