What are the major risk factors for falls among older adults?

Dr. Goldina Erowele
Caregiving Specialist

These risk factors include:

• Biological risk factors - Mobility problems due to muscle weakness or balance problems, chronic health conditions such as arthritis and stroke, vision changes and vision loss, loss of sensation in feet
  • Behavioral risk factors - Inactivity medication side effects and/or interactions, alcohol use.
  • Environmental risk factors - Home and environmental hazards (clutter, poor lighting, etc.), incorrect size, type or use of assistive devices (walkers, canes, crutches, etc.), poorly designed public spaces
  • Medication use

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Beyond the Binge: Dangers of Senior Drinking
Babe Ruth was known as the “Sultan of Swat” for his outstanding play on the baseball field. In 1924, he led the league with a 0.378 batting average an...
What should I drink to prevent overheating if I am elderly?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
To prevent overheating, drink plenty of fluids, even when you are not thirsty. Water is the best for...
How does aging affect my ability to drive?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
As you age, your ability to drive can be affected by physical, visual and mental changes, either due...
Would You Agree That the Healthcare System Itself Is Broken?