What is the PACE model for senior citizens?

Dr. Pamela A. Fenstemacher, MD

The PACE (Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly) model for senior citizens is a program that provides medical care, nursing care, various therapies and other services. At the core of the PACE model is an interdisciplinary team and the care plan that the team develops. PACE is center based, so there is a medical clinic and an adult day center where elderly people can be during the day while their loved ones are at work.

For example, if elderly parents need to have someone take care of them during the day because they have some memory loss or some cognitive impairment, a home health aide from PACE may go out to the home, get them ready in the morning and bring them into the adult day center. If they have any medical problems or ongoing medical care that’s needed, they can be seen in the medical clinic. They also get meals and have activities during the day.

PACE also has a transportation department that will bring people to the center. After their day of activities they will be transported back home. If their family isn’t home yet, a home health aide may be sent out to their home to take care of them at the end of the day until their family arrives home.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

The Rise of STDs in Seniors
The Rise of STDs in Seniors
In 1970, when Stephen Stills recorded “Love the One You’re With,” it became a rallying cry for the hippy “free love” movement (more myth than fact, bu...
How can I keep a senior citizen safe during the summer?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
The summer can be a dangerous time for elderly people, but there are ways to keep them safe. The eld...
Why is it difficult to tell if an elderly person is overheating?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Often, seniors with several chronic medical conditions -- or their loved ones or caregivers -- may d...
How Can I Protect My Memory as I Get Older?