What is the mission of the National Resource Center on LGBT Aging?

The particular burdens faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) older people have fueled advocacy efforts to eliminate anti-LGBT discrimination and increase equity in aging policies and publicly-funded aging services. In recent years these efforts have started to bear fruit. For example, in 2010 the Administration on Aging formally recognized the unique needs of LGBT older people and the federal government’s responsibility to help address those needs when it funded the creation of the country’s first National Resource Center on LGBT Aging. The mission of the National Resource Center is to provide training and technical assistance to increase the capacity of service providers to effectively support LGBT older people, and to provide LGBT elders with the information they need to plan for their later years.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Move It or Gain It
Seniors, Move It or Gain It
Don Pellman, age 99, did the high jump in college, but gave it up for the next 58 years. Then after reti...
Why is it a good idea to enroll in a LIFE program sooner rather than later?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
It's a good idea to enroll in a LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) program sooner rather than la...
How is an elderly person's family incorporated into the PACE model?
Dr. Pamela A. Fenstemacher, MDDr. Pamela A. Fenstemacher, MD
The PACE (Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly) model incorporates families into elderly pe...
How Can I Sleep Better If I'm over 65?
How Can I Sleep Better If I'm over 65?