What is geriatrics?

Geriatrics is the field of medicine focused on the care of elderly people. Doctors who are geriatricians are typically either internists or family physicians. To be a board-certified geriatrician a doctor must complete a one- or two-year fellowship focusing on geriatrics.

Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

Geriatrics is a branch of medicine focused on providing medical care for older adults. The medical community is now recognizing that medical care cannot be one size fits all, especially when caring for older adults.

Older adults tend to have multiple health issues, usually three or more, such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease or Alzheimer's disease. Caring for these individuals can be complicated. For example, choosing medications can be more difficult because a medication used to treat one problem can worsen another, or can interact with other medications and cause side effects.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Move It or Gain It
Seniors, Move It or Gain It
Don Pellman, age 99, did the high jump in college, but gave it up for the next 58 years. Then after retirement he decided to get back into track and f...
Should my elderly parent see a doctor if he or she is underweight?
Being underweight or losing weight can be a sign of disease or of poor nutrition. Your parent is und...
How can I prevent overheating if I am elderly?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If you are elderly, staying in an air-conditioned environment is the top preventive measure for over...
How Do You Envision a National Conversation to Implement Change around Senior Health Issues?