What can I do to be supportive when my aging loved one stops driving?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

You can help your aging loved one give up driving in a number of ways. You can arrange to have medications (and in some places, groceries) delivered to the home. Work with your loved one to create a plan for social outings for which transportation can be arranged through family, friends or church. Reassure your loved one that he or she did the right thing, for both personal safety and that of the public, by giving up driving.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Beyond the Binge: Dangers of Senior Drinking
Babe Ruth was known as the “Sultan of Swat” for his outstanding play on the baseball field. In 1924, he led the league with a 0.378 batting average an...
When may a geriatric palliative medicine consultation be helpful?
Palliative and Therapeutic Harmonization Consortium for frail elderly - PATHPalliative and Therapeutic Harmonization Consortium for frail elderly - PATH
Many health professionals do not receive training to recognize the significance of frailty. Frailty ...
How common are drug side effects in older adults?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
Up to 35% of older people experience adverse drug side effects each year, and the problem is even mo...
How Can I Prevent Accidental Falls as I Get Older?