What can I do to be supportive when my aging loved one stops driving?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

You can help your aging loved one give up driving in a number of ways. You can arrange to have medications (and in some places, groceries) delivered to the home. Work with your loved one to create a plan for social outings for which transportation can be arranged through family, friends or church. Reassure your loved one that he or she did the right thing, for both personal safety and that of the public, by giving up driving.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
As he approached his eleventh decade, the great vaudeville, radio, film and television comedian George Burns said, “I was brought up to respect my eld...
As an older adult, why should I avoid some medications?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
A number of over-the-counter and prescription drugs commonly taken by older people have side effects...
How can I convince my loved one to consider enrolling in a LIFE program?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
You may be able to convince your loved one to consider enrolling in a LIFE (Living Independently for...
Would You Agree That the Healthcare System Itself Is Broken?