When are senior moments a cause for worry?

Jill A. Grimes, MD
Family Medicine

Many people have what they jokingly refer to as senior moments. Something basic simply slips out of the grasp of their minds for the moment. Is it dementia? Is it early onset Alzheimer's disease? In most cases, the answer is no. Sadly, in some cases it is.

If you are having trouble with your memory, schedule an appointment with your doctor to talk about your symptoms. Have a physical and check blood work.

Chances are good that you may simply have a medication side effect or a correctible metabolic issue. If, however, you do have early dementia (such as Alzheimer's), starting medications sooner rather than later will absolutely slow the progression of your disease.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Eat Your Vitamins…and Don’t Forget Your Protein, Too!
Q: My ankle has been chronically sore, so I had it x-rayed. It showed a bone spur. My doctor wants me to do physical therapy before deciding on surger...
Why is it so difficult to give up driving as we age?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
In our society, older adults lead very active lives beyond retirement, and driving is the primary me...
What are the top health challenges for seniors?
The top health challenges for seniors are falls, medication problems, dementia and depression. Falls...
What Is the Best Lifestyle Change I Can Make?