How can I keep a senior citizen safe during the summer?

Hot summer weather can be a challenge for all of us. While taking care of an elder in the summer, make sure you're taking care of yourself, too. A healthy caregiver is the best thing you can offer. An elder may seem less bothered by the heat - and continue to dress in multiple layers of clothing despite the temp. Encourage them to remove sweaters, etc. Keep the home environment cool and ventilated. Heed weather advisories. If authorities recommend avoiding out door activities, use a local mall for a bit of walking exercise in a cool environment.

Movie theatres can be a great escape from the heat, too. Hydration can also become an issue. Encourage water and other non-caffeinated/non-alcoholic beverages (they can be de-hydrating). Consult the elder's healthcare provider before offering sports drinks, i.e.: Gatorade, but it can be an option, especially when alternating with water. For elders who are reluctant to drink a full glass at a time; try offering a shot glass of water with every TV commercial break. (Trust me, this can work.) Take a water bottle (one for each of you) when travelling about. The same goes for sunglasses, a sun hat, and sunscreen. Last but not least, enjoy the summer and your elder's company.

Anthony Cirillo
Geriatric Medicine
The summer can be a dangerous time for elderly people, but there are ways to keep them safe. The elderly should not be left in un-air-conditioned spaces for too long, and should be checked twice daily for signs of heat exhaustion or heat stroke. They should drink plenty of water.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Move It or Gain It
Seniors, Move It or Gain It
Don Pellman, age 99, did the high jump in college, but gave it up for the next 58 years. Then after retirement he decided to get back into track and f...
What kinds of services do LIFE programs offer?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
Following are some of the services offered by LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) programs: so...
When are senior moments a cause for worry?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Many people have what they jokingly refer to as senior moments. Something basic simply slips out...
What Should I Tell My Caregivers About My Health as I Get Older?