How can I prevent overheating if I am elderly?

If you are elderly, staying in an air-conditioned environment is the top preventive measure for overheating. Unfortunately, air-conditioning is not always available. When that’s the case, try to spend time in public facilities that are air-conditioned. Many communities open cooling centers during periods of high or excessive heat.

Make sure to drink plenty of fluids, even when you are not thirsty. Elderly persons often have impaired thirst mechanisms to begin with, so it is vitally important to stay on top of your fluid intake. If you have issues with fluid retention, work closely with your doctor to find the right balance between medication dosage and fluid intake.

Also, avoid direct sunlight and wear loose, lightweight clothing.

Other recommendations include:
  • Take cool showers or baths, if possible, to help cool off.
  • Avoid using your stove and oven to cook, if possible, as their usage will make your home -- and you -- hotter.
  • Ask a loved one or neighbor to check on you daily. If you are able, check in with them.
  • Stay updated with weather forecasts from local news agencies to know when excessive heat warnings are in effect.
As always, if you or someone you know seems affected by the heat, seek medical care immediately.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

4 Tips for Preventing Falls
4 Tips for Preventing Falls
Falling in love, falling asleep, falling into place—sometimes the idea of falling is, as Martha Stewart often says, “a very good thing.” But for over ...
How does PACE differ from other long-term care alternatives?
Dr. Pamela A. Fenstemacher, MDDr. Pamela A. Fenstemacher, MD
PACE (Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly) is different from other long-term care alternat...
Why is it so difficult to give up driving as we age?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
In our society, older adults lead very active lives beyond retirement, and driving is the primary me...
Where Can Healthcare Technology Be Part of the Solution for Our Aging Population?