How will the older person react to questions about his or her driving?

This answer is based on a publication and research conducted by The Hartford and MIT AgeLab:

Older drivers may express strong emotions when someone talks to them about their driving. Nearly one-fourth of older adults reported feeling sad or depressed as a result of the conversation. Less than 10 percent reported responding with anger. Older adults in poor health are more likely to have negative reactions. They may even agree with the assessment of their driving ability but feel depressed at the thought of relinquishing driving privileges.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

The Rise of STDs in Seniors
The Rise of STDs in Seniors
In 1970, when Stephen Stills recorded “Love the One You’re With,” it became a rallying cry for the hippy “free love” movement (more myth than fact, bu...
What services can help my elderly loved one live safely at home?
Shelley WebbShelley Webb
Fortunately, there are many options available to family caregivers that will enable them to help...
Why should I consult a geriatrician if I am an older adult?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If the patient appears to have one or more geriatric syndromes -- complex conditions that typically ...
How Can We Help America's Elderly?
How Can We Help America's Elderly?