How can an older driver find out if he or she is a safe driver?

Unfortunately, there is not a single, simple test to determine if someone is a safe driver. Annual physical examinations are important to assess for any medical issues or constellation of issues that may affect driving safety. Report any potential concerns to your doctor so that you can be assessed and, if possible, treated to ensure necessary adjustments are made. While a doctor may be obligated to report concerns about a person’s ability to drive safely, it is ultimately the licensing authority, typically the local Department of Motor Vehicles, that determines whether a person can continue driving.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

4 Tips for Preventing Falls
4 Tips for Preventing Falls
Falling in love, falling asleep, falling into place—sometimes the idea of falling is, as Martha Stewart often says, “a very good thing.” But for over ...
Where can I find information on caring for the elderly?
Sharine ForbesSharine Forbes
Here is a website that has a lot of very good information: http://www.aging-parents-and-elder-care.c...
How can I convince my loved one to consider enrolling in a LIFE program?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
You may be able to convince your loved one to consider enrolling in a LIFE (Living Independently for...
What Is the Most Common Demographic for Meals on Wheels?