How can one encourage an older adult to use alternative transportation?

This answer is based on a publication and research conducted by The Hartford and MIT AgeLab:

Effective conversations encourage future planning and show respect for the older adult’s ability to make appropriate decisions. When observing the older person modifying his or her driving habits, use these opportunities to explore transportation options together to give the older adult time to adjust to them.

“If you don’t want to drive at night, we can arrange for someone to pick you up.” Commend the older driver for being cautious and help arrange transportation.

“Let’s take the bus so we don’t have to deal with the parking downtown.” Practice using public transportation together before it becomes a necessity. Remember that public transportation may be difficult or impossible to use for some older adults with physical or cognitive difficulties who must limit their driving. In these cases, families are often the first and only alternative transportation.

“You could save hundreds of dollars if you sold your car.” Insurance, maintenance, depreciation, and gasoline costs make owning and operating a car expensive. Even taxi services, which provide door-to-door service, can be more economical.

“What if something happened and you couldn’t drive? What would you do?” Ask what-if questions to encourage advance planning.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
As he approached his eleventh decade, the great vaudeville, radio, film and television comedian George Burns said, “I was brought up to respect my eld...
Why should I consult a geriatrician if I am an older adult?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If the patient appears to have one or more geriatric syndromes -- complex conditions that typically ...
Why do baby boomers choose to stay in their homes?
Today's baby boomers have taken a stand to stay in their homes. The aging in place movement is a gro...
Is There Support In Place for Elderly That Need Long-Term Care?