How likely are older drivers to get in an accident?

This answer is based on a publication and research conducted by The Hartford and MIT AgeLab:

Accidents involving older drivers often call attention to the issue of older adults and driving safety. The facts alone may seem confusing. Statistics actually indicate that most older adults are safe drivers, with high safety belt use and few citations for speeding, reckless driving or alcohol-related charges. However, medical conditions, medication usage and reduced physical function can increase the risk of accidents and injury among older adults. Factor in the sense of independence that driving represents for older adults to understand why driving safety for older adults is an emotionally-charged topic.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
As he approached his eleventh decade, the great vaudeville, radio, film and television comedian George Burns said, “I was brought up to respect my eld...
How do PACE participants pay for the program?
Dr. Pamela A. Fenstemacher, MDDr. Pamela A. Fenstemacher, MD
The vast majority of PACE (Program of All-inclusive Care for the Elderly) participants pay for the p...
What causes weak thigh, hamstring, and butt muscles in older adults?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
As we grow older, we typically look for more energy-efficient ways to do things. Our leg muscles see...
Would You Agree That the Healthcare System Itself Is Broken?