How can LIFE programs help keep elderly people safe at home?

Dr. Arun S. Rao, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) programs take a number of steps to help keep elderly people safe at home. For example, physical and occupational therapists will go to people's homes to determine whether modifications need to be made. It could be something as simple as rearranging furniture to make it safer, or putting in grab bars or other adaptive equipment. LIFE programs have a team of home care nurses, so if a person needs a medical evaluation but is having trouble coming to the LIFE center, a nurse can assess the person at home and contact the LIFE center to coordinate a plan of care.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Senior ERs Are Saving Lives and Changing Healthcare
Modern emergency rooms (ERs) are often models of speed and efficiency. When your life or limb is on the line, you want a team of healthcare providers ...
As an older adult, why should I avoid some medications?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
A number of over-the-counter and prescription drugs commonly taken by older people have side effects...
How common are drug side effects in older adults?
Anne FabinyAnne Fabiny
Up to 35% of older people experience adverse drug side effects each year, and the problem is even mo...
How Can I Protect My Lungs as I Get Older?