How can I make my home safe as I age in place?

HealthyWomen
Administration
Aging in place is easier than ever. You can make your home safe as you age in place, from easy home modifications to smart home technology, by doing the following:

1. Prepare your home
  • Install handrails in the bathroom in your shower and next to your toilet. They now make handrails in every type of finish to match your space.
  • Stick down area rugs. Rugs have a tendency to slide around and have corners that stick up. Make sure they aren't a tripping hazard.
  • Turn down the water heater temperature. This reduces the risk of burning yourself in the shower.
  • Replace door knobs with levers. Knobs can be tough to turn for aging wrists.
  • Put in more lighting. Aging eyes need extra help to see. You'll be amazed at the difference a few more lights can make!
2. Use home health care technology
  • Medication reminders are great for those who tend to be forgetful. It will do all the work to keep you on schedule.
  • A medical alert system with fall detection technology will automatically call for help if it senses that you've fallen.
3. Make your home smart
  • Smart thermostats keep your home at the perfect temperature without you needing to fuss with the dial.
  • Automatic blinds keep the sun out of your eyes and maintain your home's temperature. The best part? Not needing to fight with those pesky cords.
  • Smart showers allow you to customize everything from the water's temperature to your morning playlist. Every morning you just press a button to be greeted with your perfect shower.
  • Smart doors act like your butler. Just walk up to the door and it opens itself for you -- no keys, locks or handles. A key fob or your smartphone serves as your ID.
Aging comes with new challenges. With some preparation now, your home will support you as you age in place. You've worked hard -- it's time for your home to work for you.

This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Senior Health