How are elderly people's friends and family involved in LIFE programs?

Dr. Arun S. Rao, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) programs will reach out to families and friends who are involved in elderly people's care, because they know people the best. They know what kind of diet they like, when they like to have their meals, which TV program they want to watch, when they want to play bingo or go to the casino and things like that.

When LIFE programs provide care in the home, the program considers the schedules of friends and family living with the person. What are their availabilities to help out with care and collaborate with the program? Are there any kinds of concerns or limitations they have in terms of their caregiving abilities? LIFE tries to tailor a program that will suit all their needs.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Never Too Old for Great Sex
Never Too Old for Great Sex
We're all happy to accept that fine wine improves with age—becoming more complex, more enjoyable, more valuable—so why not consider the possibility th...
How can I convince my elderly parent to stop driving?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Focusing on the health and safety aspects related to driving could help avoid making this conversati...
Why see a geriatrician versus a family physician or internist?
Dr. William Wien, DODr. William Wien, DO
In actual fact, the large majority of geriatricians are family medicine or internal medicine special...
Why Does Meals on Wheels Specifically Provide Services to Seniors?