How can I help my aging mother eat regularly?

It's important for your aging mother to eat regularly, and there are ways you can help her. Appetite loss can be normal for seniors, but it can lead to more serious problems. When Mom isn't eating much, eating well becomes even more important. With your guidance, she can combat appetite loss and stay healthy.

If Mom's stomach isn't growling, it's easy for her to forget to eat. Use these tips to help her get into the habit of eating regularly:
  • Set a regular meal schedule. Whether Mom prefers three big meals or six small meals throughout the day, she should create a schedule and stick to it.
  • Make meals social events. Encourage her to have meals with you and with her friends. It's easier to eat when eating with others. And it's simply more fun!
  • Eat breakfast. Breakfast will wake up her metabolism and stabilize her blood sugar, giving her more energy throughout the day. Does she use lack of time as an excuse? Have her check out meal options that she can eat on the go.
  • Start with a snack or beverage. Even a little bite may wake up her appetite.
  • Have her chew gum or hard candy before eating to combat dry mouth and stimulate hunger signals.
This content originally appeared on HealthyWomen.org.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Eat Your Vitamins…and Don’t Forget Your Protein, Too!
Q: My ankle has been chronically sore, so I had it x-rayed. It showed a bone spur. My doctor wants me to do physical therapy before deciding on surger...
Why do LIFE participants need to be nursing home eligible?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) programs are meant to take care of people who are determined ...
How are elderly people's friends and family involved in LIFE programs?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) programs will reach out to families and friends who are invol...
Which Vaccines Do Older Adults Need?
Which Vaccines Do Older Adults Need?