How can I help an aging loved one who can’t drive?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

To help an aging loved one who can’t drive, you can reach out to your local Area Agency on Aging to request a list of agencies or individuals who can help with transportation. You can arrange for having medications delivered to the home. Some grocery stores can deliver to the home. Work with your loved one to create a plan for social outings for which transportation can be arranged through family, friends or church. Reassure your loved one that he or she did the right thing, for both personal safety as well as that of the public, by giving up driving.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
As he approached his eleventh decade, the great vaudeville, radio, film and television comedian George Burns said, “I was brought up to respect my eld...
What should I drink to prevent overheating if I am elderly?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
To prevent overheating, drink plenty of fluids, even when you are not thirsty. Water is the best for...
Can a geriatric doctor replace a primary care physician?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
A physician who specializes in the care of frail elders, or those with complicated medical needs, is...
What Is the Role of the Federal Government in Feeding the Hungry?