How can I help an aging loved one who can’t drive?

Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine
To help an aging loved one who can’t drive, you can reach out to your local Area Agency on Aging to request a list of agencies or individuals who can help with transportation. You can arrange for having medications delivered to the home. Some grocery stores can deliver to the home. Work with your loved one to create a plan for social outings for which transportation can be arranged through family, friends or church. Reassure your loved one that he or she did the right thing, for both personal safety as well as that of the public, by giving up driving.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Baby Boomers Active in the Bedroom
Baby Boomers Active in the Bedroom
Thirty-two thousand Baby Boomers are members of USA Triathlon; tens of thousands more cycle, swim and jog regularly. An astounding 61 percent say they...
What causes weak thigh, hamstring, and butt muscles in older adults?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
As we grow older, we typically look for more energy-efficient ways to do things. Our leg muscles see...
What are Area Agencies on Aging?
Eric PfeifferEric Pfeiffer
Area Agencies on Aging are federally funded community organizations designed to assist elderly p...
How Can I Protect My Lungs as I Get Older?