How can I find a good doctor for my elderly loved one?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

If you suspect your elderly loved one may be having problems with memory, it's very important to have them evaluated sooner rather than later. There are many, many things that will mimic symptoms of Alzheimer's that could be treated, so don't let the fear of that diagnosis keep you and your loved one away from the doctor. I suggest either a neurologist or a geriatrician, if there is one near you, for a dementia work-up. You would need to have durable healthcare power of attorney so you can legally speak to the doctor about your parent, and they can relay information to you. If there are memory issues, then it's crucial that the doctor does not speak "over" the elder as if they are not there, or they don't feel the concerns warrant investigation. If the friends and family are seeing troublesome changes, then someone needs to accompany that elder to a physician who will do a proper dementia work-up. 

Taking the time to research different doctors can be helpful with finding a provider for your elderly loved one. Getting recommendations from friends and family and finding out who they currently use can be a great resource of information. In the end elderly loved ones need to feel that they are receiving good care.  

Continue Learning about Senior Health

What are the Challenges Competing with Fast Food?
Why Is Meals on Wheels Not a Hand Out?
Why Is Meals on Wheels Not a Hand Out?
How Can We Help Caregivers?
How Can We Help Caregivers?
Are Minute Clinics and Drugstores Seeing Elderly Patients a Good Solution?