Why see a geriatrician versus a family physician or internist?

Dr. William Wien, DO

In actual fact, the large majority of geriatricians are family medicine or internal medicine specialists whose practice has developed into special focus on care of the elderly. Formal additional training fellowships exist where already certified Family Physicians and Internists can become qualified with a Certificate of Additional Qualification in Geriatrics. In addition, many physicians gain valuable added experience and skill treating the elderly through spending years practicing in retirement communities, such as in Florida and Arizona.

Dr. Oluwatoyin Thomas, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

While most internists and family physicians provide geriatric care because they take care of the majority of older adults, geriatricians are internists or family physicians who are board certified and have received additional training (fellowship) and certification in geriatrics. Specializing in geriatrics helps a healthcare professional become more educated and sensitive to the unique needs involved in caring for older adults.

Other healthcare professionals, such as psychiatrists, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, nurses, physical and occupational therapists and pharmacists, can also have specialized training in geriatrics.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Senior ERs Are Saving Lives and Changing Healthcare
Modern emergency rooms (ERs) are often models of speed and efficiency. When your life or limb is on the line, you want a team of healthcare providers ...
How important is good communication between doctors and my elderly parent?
Palliative and Therapeutic Harmonization Consortium for frail elderly - PATHPalliative and Therapeutic Harmonization Consortium for frail elderly - PATH
Honest and sensitive communication between doctors, patients and families is the key to better healt...
How can I prevent overheating if I am elderly?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If you are elderly, staying in an air-conditioned environment is the top preventive measure for over...
How Do You Envision a National Conversation to Implement Change around Senior Health Issues?