Do older adults prefer to speak to their doctor about driving?

This answer is based on a publication and research conducted by The Hartford and MIT AgeLab: 

Outside of the family, the opinions of doctors are often valued by older drivers. About 27 percent of those living with spouses and over 40 percent of those living alone said they want to hear first from their doctor. Many older adults think that physicians can precisely determine their ability to drive safely. And people who have health problems are more likely to listen to the advice of a doctor about driving. However, not all doctors agree that they are the best source for making decisions about driving. Physicians may not be able to detect driving problems based on office visits and physical examinations alone. They can assess diminished visual, cognitive and motor skills, or refer the driver to an independent occupational therapist who is qualified to conduct a comprehensive driving evaluation. This referral may avoid unnecessary conflict when the doctor, family members and the older driver have differing opinions. Family members should work with doctors and share observations about driving behavior and health issues to help older adults make good driving decisions.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Baby Boomers Active in the Bedroom
Baby Boomers Active in the Bedroom
Thirty-two thousand Baby Boomers are members of USA Triathlon; tens of thousands more cycle, swim and jog regularly. An astounding 61 percent say they...
How can I make my home safe as I age in place?
Aging in place is easier than ever. You can make your home safe as you age in place, from easy home ...
What is the normal weight range for older adults?
Audrey K. Chun, MDAudrey K. Chun, MD
America's obesity epidemic is constantly in the news and is an issue that should concern you bec...
What Do You Think Is the Biggest Healthcare Challenge?