Why is it so difficult to give up driving as we age?

Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Geriatric Medicine Specialist

In our society, older adults lead very active lives beyond retirement, and driving is the primary means of transportation for them to engage in those activities. Driving is the way many older adults access healthcare, engage in social interactions and ensure adequate nutrition (via grocery shopping or dining in restaurants). If not supported appropriately, an inability to drive can lead to social isolation, increased depression and a loss of independence that can be devastating.

Continue Learning about Senior Health

Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
Seniors, Don’t Tough Out Your Pain
As he approached his eleventh decade, the great vaudeville, radio, film and television comedian George Burns said, “I was brought up to respect my eld...
Who is eligible for LIFE programs?
Dr. Arun S. Rao, MDDr. Arun S. Rao, MD
To be eligible for LIFE (Living Independently for Elders) programs, people have to be: 55 years o...
Can a geriatric doctor replace a primary care physician?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
A physician who specializes in the care of frail elders, or those with complicated medical needs, is...
How Many People Is Meals on Wheels Feeding Daily Across America?