What is the effect of selenium on arthritis?

Grant Cooper, MD
Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
Studies regarding selenium supplementation have been mixed, and no clinical human study definitively shows selenium supplements to be helpful for osteoarthritis symptoms. For example, one study found that 200 micrograms of selenium per day taken for 3 - 6 months might reduce pain and joint inflammation in people with rheumatoid arthritis, while other studies have found no such link. Clearly, more studies are needed. However, because of its physiologic roles, it does seem reasonable to include foods containing selenium in your diet.
The Arthritis Handbook: Improve Your Health and Manage the Pain of Osteoarthritis (A DiaMedica Guide to Optimum Wellness)

According to conventional wisdom, arthritis pain is an inevitable part of aging. Not so, says Dr. Grant Cooper in this practical, accessible guide. For those who do develop osteoarthritic conditions,...

Continue Learning about Selenium

How does selenium reduce the risk of cancer?
One of the trace minerals needed by our bodies, selenium largely comes from foods like garlic that a...
Should I let my doctor know I’m taking selenium?
Yes, you should always tell your doctor all substances you are taking, including selenium supple...
Smart Meals to Boost Your Memory
Smart Meals to Boost Your Memory
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young