What should I know before taking selenium?

You should know that most people get enough selenium from the foods they eat, so supplements might give you too much, which can have toxic effects. In addition, selenium can affect existing medical conditions, so if you have any of the following, make sure to tell your doctor: stomach or kidney problems, iodine deficiency, male infertility, or a history of skin cancer.

If you have allergies to foods, medicine, or animal products, you should read the product label carefully. Supplements can be created using plant or animal products to which you might be allergic and can cause an allergic reaction.

If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, you should know that research has not yet confirmed whether large doses of selenium are safe for the mother or the baby.

Continue Learning about Selenium

What are the health benefits of selenium?
Howard S. SmithHoward S. Smith
Selenium is a trace mineral that may hold the key to staying disease-free as it helps to keep th...
Should I let my doctor know I’m taking selenium?
Yes, you should always tell your doctor all substances you are taking, including selenium supple...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young
Smart Meals to Boost Your Memory
Smart Meals to Boost Your Memory