How much selenium do I need per day?

RealAge
Administration

Government guidelines recommend 55 micrograms (mcg) of selenium per day, but for optimal health and disease prevention, up that to 200 mcg per day. And we believe it's best to get this mineral from food, not supplements. Too much selenium can be toxic, so don't overdo it -- keep your daily intake below 400 mcg.

Dr. Robin Miller, MD

Selenium is essential for proper brain functioning and may also help protect against prostate cancer. But new research shows that too much of this mineral may increase your risk of a common chronic disease. Watch this video featuring Dr. Robin Miller to find out what the disease is and to learn how to get the right amount of selenium from your diet.

Although we may find that selenium has important antiaging properties, it is a trace mineral that is not easily excreted by the body. It can build up to toxic levels, causing needless aging. The current recommended daily allowances for selenium are 70 micrograms (mcg) a day for men and 55 mcg a day for women. I recommend that you get at most 200 mcg a day as a supplement. That way, you probably won't overdo it.

Continue Learning about Selenium