What are the health benefits of selenium?

Howard S. Smith
Pain Medicine
Selenium is a trace mineral that may hold the key to staying disease-free as it helps to keep the immune system working optimally and is important for a healthy thyroid gland. Selenium is an important part of the antioxidant enzyme as it helps to fight free radicals that cause damage to healthy tissue. There are some studies on rheumatoid arthritis patients, indicating that they have reduced selenium levels in their blood. This may be because these people have a low intake of selenium through foods. Current findings are preliminary and no recommendations for selenium supplements are available. The Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) is 70 micrograms. The best food sources are Brazil nuts, beef, tuna, turkey, chicken, walnuts, cheese, eggs, cottage cheese, and enriched grain products. One three and one-half ounce serving of tuna gives you a full day’s requirement of selenium.

Continue Learning about Selenium

How can I take selenium?
Selenium supplements are available in three forms - capsules, tablets, and extended-release tabl...
How does selenium help keep my body healthy?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Selenium helps activate the body’s own antioxidant enzymes. The average American gets nearly twice t...
Selenium Keeps You Young
Selenium Keeps You Young
Smart Meals to Boost Your Memory
Smart Meals to Boost Your Memory