What is dexmedetomidine?

Dexmedetomidine is an injection available by prescription and is known by the brand name Precedex. It is a sterile solution, and in its diluted form is used for sedation through intravenous (I.V.) infusion in an intensive care setting. The sedative is used for those who are intubated or mechanically ventilated, and should not be administered for more than 24 hours at a time.

Continue Learning about Sedative-Hypnotic

What should I know about ramelteon before taking it?
If you have severe liver impairment, you should not take ramelteon. If you are pregnant, planning a...
How effective is ramelteon?
Studies have shown that ramelteon reduces the time it takes to fall asleep and increases total sleep...
What is zaleplon?
Zaleplon (Sonata) is FDA-approved for treating people with insomnia that involves difficulty falling...
Does zaleplon interact with any other medications?
If you are using azelastine nasal spray, doxylamine, orphenadrine, paraldehyde, sodium oxybate, or t...