What is Fospropofol Disodium Injection?

Fospropofol is an intravenous (IV) sedative-hypnotic drug used in monitored (by an anesthesiologist) anesthesia for adults during surgery or diagnostic procedures. It provides sedation and anesthesia for the surgery and amnesia of the surgical events by binding to receptors in the brain. Fospropofol (Lusedra) is a prodrug of propofol (Diprivan), which means that it turns into the active drug propofol in the body. Like propofol, it is only used under the direct care of a person trained to provide and manage anesthesia. It requires constant monitoring of patient responsiveness, breathing, oxygen level and blood pressure.

Continue Learning about Sedative-Hypnotic

What is ramelteon?
Ramelteon (Rozerem) is a synthetic form of the sleep-promoting hormone melatonin. It is FDA-approved...
What should I know about ramelteon before taking it?
If you have severe liver impairment, you should not take ramelteon. If you are pregnant, planning a...
What is zaleplon?
Zaleplon (Sonata) is FDA-approved for treating people with insomnia that involves difficulty falling...
What should I know about zaleplon before taking it?
If you are over age 65, zaleplon may not be a good option for you. If you have asthma, chronic obst...