What should I know about ramelteon before taking it?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

If you have severe liver impairment, you should not take ramelteon.

If you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or may be pregnant, ramelteon may not be a good option for you. It is not known if it is safe for pregnant women.

It is not known if ramelteon is safe or effective for children and teens under 18 years of age.

If you are breastfeeding, ramelteon may not be a good option for you. It is not known if this drug can be passed into breast milk.

If you take ramelteon, you should not drink alcohol. 

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor. 

Continue Learning about Sedative-Hypnotic

What should I know before taking zolpidem?
If you have a depressive disorder, zolpidem may not be a good option for you. Because of its potent...
How effective is zolpidem?
Sleep studies have shown that zolpidem gives people small to medium improvements in measurable aspec...
How effective is zaleplon?
Sleep studies have shown that zaleplon gives people small to medium improvements in measurable aspec...
What is eszopiclone (Lunesta)?
Eszopiclone (Lunesta) is FDA-approved for treating people with insomnia that involves difficulty fal...