What should I know about Seconal Sodium before taking it?

Seconal Sodium should only be used when you need help falling asleep. It will cause you to fall asleep quickly, so it should be taken when you are ready for bed. In addition, there is a risk after taking this drug of engaging in activity, such as sleep walking, eating, or even driving, and later not remembering your actions. If this happens, stop taking Seconal Sodium and talk to your doctor immediately.

Seconal Sodium should not be used if you are pregnant, as there is a risk to a developing fetus. It can also decrease the effectiveness of birth control pills, so take additional precautions. Caution should be exercised if you have severe or uncontrolled asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), respiratory problems, anemia or another blood cell disease, seizure disorder, liver or heart disease, or an overactive thyroid. If you have mental health issues such as depression, or if you have previously attempted suicide, you should talk to your doctor before starting Seconal Sodium. Additionally, if you have a history of an addiction to drugs or alcohol, you should not take Seconal Sodium, as it may be habit-forming.

Once you stop Seconal Sodium, you may experience withdrawal. Seconal Sodium can cause an allergic reaction that is serious. If you experience hives, problems breathing, swelling, you should stop taking it and seek immediate medical attention. It should also be taken on an empty stomach.

Continue Learning about Sedative-Hypnotic

What should I know about zaleplon before taking it?
If you are over age 65, zaleplon may not be a good option for you. If you have asthma, chronic obst...
How effective is ramelteon?
Studies have shown that ramelteon reduces the time it takes to fall asleep and increases total sleep...
What is zaleplon?
Zaleplon (Sonata) is FDA-approved for treating people with insomnia that involves difficulty falling...
What should I know about ramelteon before taking it?
If you have severe liver impairment, you should not take ramelteon. If you are pregnant, planning a...