What are side effects of seasonal affective disorder (SAD)?

Short days can cause seasonal affective disorder (SAD) -- neurochemical changes in your brain due to lack of sunlight. From late fall until spring, people with SAD become depressed, sleep too much, withdraw from friends and battle low energy and relentless carb cravings. To prevent SAD and get energized, try to spend some time in the sunshine. If there isn’t any, ask your doctor about light therapy, which involves sitting in front of a special box that shines ultrabright lights.

Continue Learning about Seasonal Affective Disorder

Seasonal Depression in Teens: Is It the Winter Blues or Something More Serious?
The winter holidays are a joyous time for many teens: they’re out of school and opportunities to celebrate and spend time with friends and loved ones ...
Who gets seasonal affective disorder (SAD)?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Seasonal affective disorder, or SAD, affects over half a million people each winter, including s...
How is seasonal affective disorder diagnosed?
The first step in diagnosing seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is an evaluation by a physician or me...
What Natural Remedies Can I Use to Beat the Winter Blues?