What are the signs of seasonal affective disorder?

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) is a mood disorder that causes depression to come on during certain seasons, typically during the winter. Those who suffer from SAD have many of the normal signs of depression: sadness, anxiety, irritability, loss of interest in normal activities, inability to concentrate, and withdrawal from social activities. Moreover, they often have symptoms such as extreme fatigue, lack of energy, increased appetite and craving for carbohydrates, and weight gain.

Charles J. Sophy, MD
Adolescent Medicine

The signs are similar to those of depression such as sleep and/or appetite changes, mood and anxiety changes, and possible disturbance of sexual desires. These symptoms usually come at the same time each year.

Continue Learning about Seasonal Affective Disorder

Seasonal Depression in Teens: Is It the Winter Blues or Something More Serious?
The winter holidays are a joyous time for many teens: they’re out of school and opportunities to celebrate and spend time with friends and loved ones ...
How can where I live affect my risk for depression?
When depressive symptoms occur in the winter because of less exposure to sunlight the condition is c...
Can regular UV light treatments help treat seasonal affective disorder?
People who get seasonal affective disorder (SAD) have been shown to feel better when they're exposed...
What Natural Remedies Can I Use to Beat the Winter Blues?