Can regular UV light treatments help treat seasonal affective disorder?

People who get seasonal affective disorder (SAD) have been shown to feel better when they're exposed to specially rated UV lights for the home for 20 minutes a day. Any bright light will serve the purpose, and halogen lights emit the same frequency as those made to treat SAD. Another option: Go to sports events or arenas where there are a lot of bright lights. Anecdotally, these lights seem to have the same effect.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Seasonal Affective Disorder

Seasonal Depression in Teens: Is It the Winter Blues or Something More Serious?
The winter holidays are a joyous time for many teens: they’re out of school and opportunities to celebrate and spend time with friends and loved ones ...
Can I prevent the onset of seasonal affective disorder (SAD)?
Because our internal clocks, rhythms, and regulators are heavily influenced by exposure to light, it...
How can where I live affect my risk for depression?
When depressive symptoms occur in the winter because of less exposure to sunlight the condition is c...
Is Vitamin D Associated with Seasonal Affective Disorder?