How does seasonal affective disorder affect the body?

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) can affect the body in a variety of ways. SAD is most likely caused by an increase in melatonin - or decrease in serotonin - during winter months when sunlight is scarce. These chemical imbalances lead to lethargic feelings, weight gain (or sometimes weight loss if symptoms occur during the summer), changes in appetite and may even make it more difficult to concentrate.

Continue Learning about Seasonal Affective Disorder

Seasonal Depression in Teens: Is It the Winter Blues or Something More Serious?
The winter holidays are a joyous time for many teens: they’re out of school and opportunities to celebrate and spend time with friends and loved ones ...
How do I manage my seasonal affective disorder on a daily basis?
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) can have a significant impact on your life, but there are ways you...
What is the rate of incidence for seasonal affective disorder?
The rate of incidence of seasonal affective disorder (SAD) increases as one gets nearer to the poles...
What Natural Remedies Can I Use to Beat the Winter Blues?