How can I deal with the winter blahs?

Exercise of any form, resistance training or cardiovascular exercise, provides opportunity to expend energy, and revitalize you from the overconsumption of food and lack of exercise that occurs during the winter months.  

A great method to exercise is to perform a circuit training program. Circuit training consists of several stations in which the client performs an exercise for a set amount of time or repetitions. Once time or repetitions have been achieved, then the client moves on to the next exercise in the station. Circuits can have as few as three exercises but can be as much as desired.   

If you feel this way just around wintertime, you may have seasonal affective disorder (SAD). There are a few things you can try: a full-spectrum light box, omega-3 fatty acids (fish oils), exercise, counseling, and re-vamping your diet. Try to create structure to your day by scheduling your exercise. Get out of bed, have breakfast, and force yourself to go for a walk. Inertia is the devil here.

Continue Learning about Seasonal Affective Disorder

Understanding Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD) is a type of depression that occurs mostly in the fall and winter months when the days are shorter. We talked with p...
Does seasonal affective disorder run in families?
Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), like other forms of depression, does run in families. If your par...
What are side effects of seasonal affective disorder (SAD)?
Short days can cause seasonal affective disorder (SAD) -- neurochemical changes in your brain du...
What Natural Remedies Can I Use to Beat the Winter Blues?