How can I avoid a seafood allergy reaction?

To avoid an allergic reaction to seafood, strict avoidance of seafood and seafood products is essential. Always read ingredient labels to identify shellfish ingredients. In addition, avoid touching shellfish, going to the fish market and being in an area where shellfish are being cooked as the protein in the steam may present a risk. Here are more tips to avoid a reaction:
  • If you have seafood allergy, avoid seafood restaurants. Even if you order a non-seafood item off of the menu, it is safer to always assume that cross-contact is possible.
  • Asian restaurants often serve dishes that use fish sauce as a flavoring base. Exercise caution or avoid eating there altogether.
  • Shellfish protein can become airborne in the steam released during cooking and may be a risk. Stay away from cooking areas.
  • Many people who are allergic to shellfish are allergic to more than one kind. Talk to your doctor so that you know for sure what foods to avoid.

Continue Learning about Seafood Allergy

Can I take coral calcium if I have a seafood allergy?
Most people with seafood allergies should avoid coral calcium. Taken from coral reefs, this suppleme...
How do I manage my seafood allergy on a daily basis?
Deborah Davis, DNPDeborah Davis, DNP
If you experience a mild allergic reaction to shellfish, medications such as antihistamines may redu...
Will my children outgrow their seafood allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Children outgrow most food allergies, but seafood allergies are a little different. In fact, seafood...
What is a seafood allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
A seafood allergy is an overreaction by your immune system to seafood. Normally, your body's immune ...