Will my children outgrow their seafood allergy?

Children outgrow most food allergies, but seafood allergies are a little different. In fact, seafood allergies are one of the few that are actually more common in adults. It's possible for your child to outgrow their allergy, but they may not.

You will not be able to protect your child from the development of a seafood allergy, but it is possible to protect them from additional allergic reactions. To do so, keep your child from eating or being exposed to seafood. It is also important that you avoid cross-contamination, especially in restaurants. Make sure you inform your server of your child's allergy to ensure that they do not prepare the food in any containers that have been exposed to seafood.

It is important that your child's school stay informed of any conditions that might require their care, including a seafood allergy. If a seafood reaction happens, your child's school will know what is happening and how they should treat it. If your child has a severe allergy that requires an epinephrine injection, make sure one is available at the school and that staff know how to use it.

Continue Learning about Seafood Allergy

Can I take coral calcium if I have a seafood allergy?
Most people with seafood allergies should avoid coral calcium. Taken from coral reefs, this suppleme...
What is a seafood allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
A seafood allergy is an overreaction by your immune system to seafood. Normally, your body's immune ...
What are the symptoms of a seafood allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Seafood allergies cause many of the same skin and respiratory issues that other allergic reactions u...
How do I manage my seafood allergy on a daily basis?
Deborah Davis, DNPDeborah Davis, DNP
If you experience a mild allergic reaction to shellfish, medications such as antihistamines may redu...