Can I have allergic reactions by eating fish?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Allergic reactions to fish and shellfish are commonly reported in both adults and children. It is generally recommended that people who have had an allergic reaction to one species of fish, or positive skin tests to fish, avoid all fish. The same rule applies to shellfish. Allergic reactions to fish and shellfish can be mild, with just itching skin; moderate, with some difficulty breathing; or severe, causing anaphylaxis. Individuals who are extremely allergic to fish or shellfish should avoid fish and seafood restaurants because of the risk of contamination in the food preparation area of their "nonfish" meal from a counter, spatula, fryer, or grill exposed to fish. In addition, fish protein can become airborne during cooking and cause an allergic reaction. Some individuals have had reactions from simply walking through a fish market or restaurant where fish is cooked.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Seafood Allergy

Can I take coral calcium if I have a seafood allergy?
Most people with seafood allergies should avoid coral calcium. Taken from coral reefs, this suppleme...
How do medications treat a seafood allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
A seafood allergy can be best treated, and prevented, by avoiding seafood. Medications cannot treat ...
What are the symptoms of a seafood allergy?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Seafood allergies cause many of the same skin and respiratory issues that other allergic reactions u...
What are the different types of seafood allergies?
Seafood allergies are actually an umbrella term for two different allergies-fish and shellfish. Both...