When is surgery recommended for a child with scoliosis?

Luke Macyszyn, MD
Neurosurgery
Surgery is only recommended for a child with scoliosis when the curvature of the spine exceeds a certain magnitude, which is usually 50 degrees. If the child has not reached puberty, but the curve magnitude is over 50 degrees, surgery is indicated because the spinal curve is very likely to continue to progress, especially during puberty when a child grows significantly.

In a skeletally mature adolescent (past puberty), and even young adults, surgery is performed when the patient has functional problems due to the scoliosis. Functional problems usually occur with larger curves and can manifest as severe back/leg pain or lung function compromise. Also, surgery at any age may be indicated when the spine curvature continues to progress and doctors want to prevent significant deformity by realigning the spine in a more anatomic position.
Surgery for scoliosis is only done when the curving of the spine is severe and going to cause problems for your child's health either now or in the future. For example, your child's doctor may suggest it if the curving is making the chest area get smaller, which can cause breathing trouble. This is a major surgery, with risks and a long recovery period. It is usually postponed until your child's bones stop growing. Until then, a brace is often used to prevent the scoliosis from getting worse. Sometimes, just wearing the brace can prevent the need for surgery.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis

Can I develop nonstructural scoliosis as an adult?
In most cases where an adult is suffering from nonstructural scoliosis, the condition was likely pre...
What is dextroscoliosis in the lower lumbar spine?
Dr. Allen B. BonillaDr. Allen B. Bonilla
Dextroscoliosis is a term that describes an (abnormal) right curvature of the lower spine. 
What can I expect after spinal surgery for scoliosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
After spinal surgery for scoliosis you may feel tired, sore and uncomfortable. The operation for sco...
Are there any abdominal exercises I can do after scoliosis surgery?
Andrew D. Rah, MDAndrew D. Rah, MD
Core exercises and other activities that strengthen the stomach help the most after scoliosis surger...