Is structural scoliosis serious?

Most cases of structural scoliosis, especially the mild ones, are not serious. However, severe cases of scoliosis can cause the spine to curve so much that the chest cavity is constricted. This can cause the rib cage to come into contact with the lungs or the heart, creating difficulty breathing or other damage to the heart and lungs. Because structural scoliosis can be treated to avoid these complications, it's important to see a doctor about scoliosis symptoms. Most cases of scoliosis in adults were actually present in the patient's childhood, but not diagnosed until adulthood; untreated scoliosis can lead to spinal arthritis in adults.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis

What is structural scoliosis?
Scoliosis is a condition in which the spine curves from side-to-side, appearing somewhat like the le...
How will my child feel after surgery for scoliosis?
Surgery for scoliosis is a major operation. How long it takes to get better is different for each pe...
What can I expect after spinal surgery for scoliosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
After spinal surgery for scoliosis you may feel tired, sore and uncomfortable. The operation for sco...
What does adolescent idiopathic scoliosis mean?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Adolescent idiopathic scoliosis means a problem with the curve in the spine of a young person, and t...