Is nonstructural scoliosis serious?

Most cases of nonstructural scoliosis, especially the mild ones, are not serious. However, severe cases of scoliosis can cause the spine to curve so much that the chest cavity is constricted. This can cause the rib cage to come into contact with the lungs or the heart, creating difficulty breathing or other damage to the heart and lungs. Because nonstructural scoliosis can be treated to avoid these complications, it's important to see a doctor about your scoliosis symptoms.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis

Is scoliosis a type of arthritis?
Dr. David A. Hanscom, MDDr. David A. Hanscom, MD
Scoliosis is just a descriptive term that describes the problem of the spine curving sideways. There...
Can I develop nonstructural scoliosis as an adult?
In most cases where an adult is suffering from nonstructural scoliosis, the condition was likely pre...
How is adolescent idiopathic scoliosis diagnosed?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
To diagnose adolescent idiopathic scoliosis, doctors do the following: Ask the child and parents ...
How will my child feel after surgery for scoliosis?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
After surgery for scoliosis your child won't necessarily notice that he or she has had scoliosis fus...