What are the symptoms of structural scoliosis?

Someone with structural scoliosis likely has one shoulder or one hip that rests higher than the other, though this is a symptom that is typically only noticed by a doctor or during a routine exam. One shoulder blade may be more prominent than the other. Someone suffering from structural scoliosis may also feel a low-back pain or back fatigue when sitting or standing for extended periods of time. If the curve of the spine is allowed to get worse, the chest cavity may close in on the lungs, which can lead to breathing problems. In some cases structural scoliosis is caused by an underlying problem like injury or a cyst, which may have other symptoms of its own.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis Symptoms

What sort of doctor should I see for my scoliosis symptoms?
If you suspect you have scoliosis symptoms, you should see your family doctor. Your doctor may take ...
What are the symptoms of nonstructural scoliosis?
Someone with nonstructural scoliosis likely has one shoulder or one hip that rests higher than the o...
What are the symptoms of adolescent scoliosis?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
The symptoms of adolescent scoliosis include the following: Back pain: About 40 percent to 60 pe...
What are the symptoms of scoliosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Symptoms of scoliosis aren't always that obvious. One symptom is that the shoulders are not level, w...