What are the symptoms of adolescent scoliosis?

Luke Macyszyn, MD
Neurosurgery
The symptoms of adolescent scoliosis include the following:
  • Back pain: About 40 percent to 60 percent of adolescents with scoliosis complain of back pain. Frequently they are first evaluated by their school nurse or their pediatrician. The school nurse might notice a slight curvature of the spine or unevenness in the trunk when the child bends forward.
  • Pulmonary compromise: When the curve of the spine is significant, usually over 80 degrees, a child/adolescent may develop pulmonary compromise. This means that the lung on the side that the spine is bent towards does not function as well as the lung on the other side. This can have various implications, from frequent lung infections to poor exercise tolerance.
  • Shoulder/trunk asymmetry: Frequently in adolescents with scoliosis the child will have one shoulder that is higher than the other. The trunk will also be shifted in the direction of the curve. Adolescents may also exhibit pelvic obliquity, meaning that one side of the pelvis is higher than the other.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis Symptoms

What sort of doctor should I see for my scoliosis symptoms?
If you suspect you have scoliosis symptoms, you should see your family doctor. Your doctor may take ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my nonstructural scoliosis symptoms?
If you are exhibiting any of the symptoms of nonstructural scoliosis, such one shoulder or hip resti...
What are the symptoms of nonstructural scoliosis?
Someone with nonstructural scoliosis likely has one shoulder or one hip that rests higher than the o...
Should I talk to my doctor about my scoliosis symptoms?
If you are exhibiting any of the symptoms of scoliosis, such as non-aligned hips or shoulders, or a ...