What are the symptoms of scoliosis?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Scoliosis causes the spine to appear as a wavy curve, somewhat like the letters S or C. In mild cases, the worst effect of scoliosis may be a sore back and stiffness from prolonged sitting or standing. In more severe cases of scoliosis, the curve of the spine may become so extreme that it limits the space in the chest cavity, causing breathing problems. If scoliosis is not treated, arthritis and chronic back pain may be present in adulthood.

Symptoms of scoliosis aren't always that obvious. One symptom is that the shoulders are not level, with one being higher than the other. Another is having one hip sticking out more than the other, or the ribs might be sticking out. These are all symptoms of scoliosis and clues that a person might have it.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis Symptoms

What are the symptoms of structural scoliosis?
Someone with structural scoliosis likely has one shoulder or one hip that rests higher than the othe...
Should I talk to my doctor about my scoliosis symptoms?
If you are exhibiting any of the symptoms of scoliosis, such as non-aligned hips or shoulders, or a ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my nonstructural scoliosis symptoms?
If you are exhibiting any of the symptoms of nonstructural scoliosis, such one shoulder or hip resti...
What sort of doctor should I see for my scoliosis symptoms?
If you suspect you have scoliosis symptoms, you should see your family doctor. Your doctor may take ...