What are the symptoms of scoliosis?

Symptoms of scoliosis aren't always that obvious. One symptom is that the shoulders are not level, with one being higher than the other. Another is having one hip sticking out more than the other, or the ribs might be sticking out. These are all symptoms of scoliosis and clues that a person might have it.

Scoliosis causes the spine to appear as a wavy curve, somewhat like the letters S or C. In mild cases, the worst effect of scoliosis may be a sore back and stiffness from prolonged sitting or standing. In more severe cases of scoliosis, the curve of the spine may become so extreme that it limits the space in the chest cavity, causing breathing problems. If scoliosis is not treated, arthritis and chronic back pain may be present in adulthood.

Dr. Luke Macyszyn, MD
Neurosurgeon

Due to the abnormal alignment of the spine in scoliosis, the body may be shifted to one side of the other, the shoulders may be of unequal heights, there may be an associated rib hump and, occasionally, the person may lean forward too much.

With scoliosis there aren't a lot of symptoms. The first thing that people notice is usually a cosmetic asymmetry, whether it's slight chest/rib prominence or a difference in the waist creases. Thus, when you look at the hourglass of your lower back, you notice that things look a little bit different. The fact that it doesn't have symptoms is the reason there are school screening programs for scoliosis to try to catch curves very early when they're not that noticeable to children or their familes.

There may not be any symptoms, but one of the best ways for a parent to detect scoliosis in their adolescent-teenager is have them bend over and see if one side of their body (usually upper back, shoulder blade area) protrudes out more than the opposite side. Early detection is important because you can start with core strengthening exercises to support the spine and prevent the curvature from increasing. Good posture (neutral spine-when the ear shoulder and hip are in alignment) is also important in keeping balance and stability with the curve.

Of course, you want to consult with a scoliosis specialist if you suspect any curvature.

Information above is based on my personal experience and my daughters...even though our degree of curvature is in the 20 degree range, it is not visible to the average person and we are both pain free. I attribute this to the core strengthening exercises and maintaining neutral spine posture that we practice.

In most people, the symptoms of scoliosis include some sort of deformity or asymmetry of their shoulders, rib cage or waist. Some people also experience pain, most likely in their back. This used to be considered a rare symptom of scoliosis, but research has noted that pain is more common than previously thought.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis Symptoms

What are the symptoms of adolescent scoliosis?
Luke Macyszyn, MDLuke Macyszyn, MD
The symptoms of adolescent scoliosis include the following: Back pain: About 40 percent to 60 pe...
Should I talk to my doctor about my scoliosis symptoms?
If you are exhibiting any of the symptoms of scoliosis, such as non-aligned hips or shoulders, or a ...
Should I talk to my doctor about my nonstructural scoliosis symptoms?
If you are exhibiting any of the symptoms of nonstructural scoliosis, such one shoulder or hip resti...
What are the symptoms of nonstructural scoliosis?
Someone with nonstructural scoliosis likely has one shoulder or one hip that rests higher than the o...