When should I call my doctor if I suspect my child has scoliosis?

Parents who see any asymmetries in their child’s body such as elevation in their shoulders, chest differences and rib prominences should seek a scoliosis evaluation from their child’s pediatrician. If the pediatrician deems it necessary to have a specialist take a look, that’s when a pediatric orthopedic surgeon would evaluate further.

This content originally appeared online at Baptist Health South Florida.
Call the doctor if you notice any potential symptoms of scoliosis in your child including:
  • a curve in the back that causes your child to appear to lean to one side
  • back pain
  • one shoulder that appears higher than the other
  • uneven hips
  • fatigue in the back when your child sits or stands for long periods of time
  • a hump in one side of your child's ribs when you view him from the back
In some cases, use of a back brace can prevent further curvature of the spine in a child diagnosed with scoliosis. Physical therapy and surgery are also sometimes recommended.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis in Children

What are my child's treatment options for scoliosis?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
If your child's scoliosis isn't causing any problems, one treatment option is to watch and wait. Thi...
For a teen, what is scoliosis?
Diana S, NASM Elite TrainerDiana S, NASM Elite Trainer
Scoliosis is a curvature of the spin that curves from side to side like an “S” or “C”. Doctors shoul...
How does structural scoliosis affect children differently than adults?
Structural scoliosis typically occurs in children who are still growing, especially before entering ...
Does nonstructural scoliosis affect children differently than adults?
Nonstructural scoliosis typically occurs in children who are still growing, especially before enteri...