When should I call my doctor if I suspect my child has scoliosis?

Call the doctor if you notice any potential symptoms of scoliosis in your child including:
  • a curve in the back that causes your child to appear to lean to one side
  • back pain
  • one shoulder that appears higher than the other
  • uneven hips
  • fatigue in the back when your child sits or stands for long periods of time
  • a hump in one side of your child's ribs when you view him from the back
In some cases, use of a back brace can prevent further curvature of the spine in a child diagnosed with scoliosis. Physical therapy and surgery are also sometimes recommended.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis in Children

What are the symptoms of infantile scoliosis?
If the infantile scoliosis is mild, the child will have no symptoms. The condition generally does no...
How will surgery for scoliosis affect my child?
Medical City Children’s HospitalMedical City Children’s Hospital
Scoliosis surgery for an adolescent child involves taking bones that are starting to grow crookedly,...
Do children grow out of scoliosis?
Unfortunately, children do not grow out of scoliosis, but it is a very treatable condition. However,...
How does structural scoliosis affect children differently than adults?
Structural scoliosis typically occurs in children who are still growing, especially before entering ...