When should I call my doctor if I suspect my child has scoliosis?

Parents who see any asymmetries in their child’s body such as elevation in their shoulders, chest differences and rib prominences should seek a scoliosis evaluation from their child’s pediatrician. If the pediatrician deems it necessary to have a specialist take a look, that’s when a pediatric orthopedic surgeon would evaluate further.

This content originally appeared online at Baptist Health South Florida.
Call the doctor if you notice any potential symptoms of scoliosis in your child including:
  • a curve in the back that causes your child to appear to lean to one side
  • back pain
  • one shoulder that appears higher than the other
  • uneven hips
  • fatigue in the back when your child sits or stands for long periods of time
  • a hump in one side of your child's ribs when you view him from the back
In some cases, use of a back brace can prevent further curvature of the spine in a child diagnosed with scoliosis. Physical therapy and surgery are also sometimes recommended.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis in Children

What are the symptoms of infantile scoliosis?
If the infantile scoliosis is mild, the child will have no symptoms. The condition generally does no...
How can my child manage his or her infantile scoliosis on a daily basis?
Most children with infantile scoliosis are unaware of their condition, and it does not bother them. ...
How does scoliosis affect children differently than adults?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Scoliosis typically occurs in children who are still growing, especially before entering puberty. Mo...
Are there alternative treatments for infantile scoliosis?
There are no effective alternative treatments that can correct infantile scoliosis. Treatments using...