How do I know if my child needs surgery for scoliosis?

In a child, surgery for scoliosis is driven by the anatomy of the curve. In children, doctors try to stave off scoliosis surgery by predicting which curves are going to be problematic when the children become adults. If a child has a curve that is going to be a problem, surgery should absolutely be performed in childhood, rather than waiting until the curve is massive and stiff.

Internationally, 50 degrees is the line in the sand for pediatric surgery. The vast majority of curves larger than 50 degrees do progress when the children are adults. Smaller curves in adulthood are not associated with long-term disability or back pain. Therefore surgical intervention in childhood is not recommended for curves under 50 degrees.

The indication for surgery is done based on a degree of curvatures (usually over 40 to 45 degrees) and their progression. The curvatures that progress rapidly, in spite of bracing, might need to be surgically treated. The younger the child and the larger the curvature, the higher the likelihood that surgical treatment will be necessary.

Scoliosis is defined as a lateral curvature of the spine. The most common form is in children 10 and older and is called adolescent idiopathic scoliosis (AIS). The primary goal of surgical treatment in treating AIS is prevention of curve progression through spinal fusion to prevent complications caused by compression of the heart and lungs. Curvature of the spine is measured and surgical correction is indicated for children with curves greater than 50 degrees and even some with angles between 40 and 50 degrees.

Continue Learning about Scoliosis in Children

What are treatment options for infantile scoliosis?
Treatment for infantile scoliosis is based on the degree of curvature and the possibility of the con...
What increases my child's risk for infantile scoliosis?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Since the cause of infantile scoliosis is unknown, the risk factors are also unknown. However, scoli...
What are the symptoms of infantile scoliosis?
If the infantile scoliosis is mild, the child will have no symptoms. The condition generally does no...
Should I talk to my doctor about my child's infantile scoliosis symptoms?
If you suspect your child may have infantile scoliosis, it's a good idea to talk to your child's ped...